This is the end of year class play for Kylie and Breah's Spectrum class. This was about an hour long play. All the kids have a speaking and singing part. The first graders start off with a simple line and a group song. Breah had a couple of parts, one as the state of Illinois and one as a pioneer. She also sang a pioneer song with Kylie and danced part of the macarena with a group. Kylie had a part as the state of Nebraska, a pioneer, and as Rosa Parks, which she sang a solo as. All of the kids did a fantastic job. It was a very entertaining show!










It has been such a blessing for Kylie to get into her class. She does a lot of things similar to the Montessori program, which is where Kylie and Breah transferred from. It has made the transition easier for Kylie. I had no idea Sunnyside even had a program like this. I felt very unsure about switching schools when we moved because I like the small charter school so much. Finally, in February, I felt this urgency to get them moved. So I went to the school on a Monday morning. I got all the registration papers filled out and when I returned them, they said they were full. I couldn't understand. There was no way they could squeeze them in? We did live directly across the street! So they said we could call and check back. So we called the school and the district a couple times. They said we could get Breah into 1st grade, but there was still no room in 2nd grade. So we could bus both of them to a different school or just Kylie. I decided to wait until they could both get in before I did anything. Friday afternoon. I missed a call from the school. I called back over and over, but it kept going straight to voicemail, so I left a message. I was so frustrated. (Remember I was 8 months pregnant and very emotional!) I stared out the window wondering if I should just run over to the school and knock on the door. Then I saw the principle walk out and drive away. Ahhh! I remember wondering, why did I feel this was so important to do right now? So as we had all week, we prayed they would make room for Kylie. Sunday we decided to have a family fast that things would work out. And Monday morning, the school called and said they found a space for Kylie. It seemed like a miracle! Her teacher would be Mrs Ball. I had no idea what a blessing that was. Later, Mrs. Ball had told us how grateful she was to have Kylie. She said the timing was just right because they had just changed the number of students in class. It was pretty cool to hear that. We requested Breah to get her and assumed she would the next year. But she didn't. And Mrs. Ball went out of her way to put her in her class. Again having more students, than other teachers. It was a blessing. Breah has been pushed above her grade in that year and is in PACE this year. Addi has been in there two weeks and Mrs. Ball decided to put her in 2nd grade math and reading because she knows she can "fill in the gaps" and pick up on everything. It is so refreshing to have a teacher that can see their potential. She is constantly complimenting them and it is so nice! I have been so impressed by everything that Mrs. Ball does for these students. She puts so much extra time and effort into everything.
No comments:
Post a Comment