Thursday, October 13, 2016

Ian's emergency

 
Even though I know Ian healed and is fine today, I still feel anxiety looking at these pictures and writing the story.  Collin took Ian skiing for his second time with the three older girls on Feb 13, 2016.  At Pebble Creek you can get your skis on at the car, and then ski to the lift.  Thankfully, they were in the parking lot when Ian had his accident.  Ian had his stuff on and was waiting for Collin.  He started heading down the hill on his own.  Collin had one ski boot on and one tennis shoe.  He watched Ian and was hoping he would fall down.  As soon as he hit the pole, about 100 yards away, Collin went running.  Ian had hit the pole so hard, he bounced off and his skis went flying.  When Collin got to him, he had the wind knocked out of him and was choking on blood.  Collin grabbed him and put him in the truck to go straight to the hospital.  Breah grabbed his skis, but Collin had to go back and get Addi, who had also had her skis on and went after Ian. 

 
They went to the Portneuf Hospital Emergency Room in Pocatello.  While speeding down the Interstate, Collin got pulled over by a police officer.  After seeing the girls crying and Ian covered in blood, he was nice enough to give Collin a warning and tell him to slow down.  Ian had an MRI and then Collin was told he had a fracture in the top of his skull, down his forehead, nose, and around his eye socket.  They were worried about fluid and air pockets around the brain, so he was life-flighted to Primary Children's Hospital in Salt Lake City. 
 
 
I was at home with Silas and Clare.  Collin tried calling me, but I had just laid Silas down and was trying to get a nap while Clare watched a movie.  When I got up, I saw a text from Collin saying Ian had an accident and he was getting him checked out at the hospital. I was a little worried, but not much until Collin updated me that he was getting an MRI.  I knelt down and said a prayer with Clare.  We both started crying, we were scared.  Then, Collin said I needed to head down because Ian was going to SLC. I started freaking out. I almost jumped in the care immediately.  Then I called Collin, he reminded me that we needed to get the girls home from Pocatello.  I called my mom to come get them.  Then Susan, who was in town, came by.  She said she would take me.  We left her kids with Clare.  My mom came to watch them.  Susan took me to Pocatello and the three older girls home.  My mom stayed the night at our house with the girls, and then she took them back to her house the next night.  Collin's cousin in Pocatello drove me in Collins truck with Silas to SLC.  Then His friend came to get him and brought him home.  So Collin and I had his truck to get home. 
 

 
When I got the Portneuf Hospital, Ian was not as bad as I was expecting.  He could have cared less to see me too.  They were just getting ready to send him on the plane.  Collin and another man gave Ian a blessing.  It was a long, restless drive to SLC.  I was so grateful I was not alone and didn't have to drive with Silas crying.  I was waiting in the waiting room for awhile.  When the nurse came to get me, they were really worried about me taking my baby to the rooms.  She suggested I not stay!   When I told her I had just driven from Idaho Falls she said to cover my baby, so he wouldn't get any germs.  That was just what I needed to hear!  Ian was strapped down.  They had done a full exam and put him in a neck brace that he hated.  He was so upset and said over and over that he wanted Collin to hold him.  They wouldn't let Collin, so he just laid by Ian and tried to comfort him.  It was heartbreaking.  You could tell he was in so much pain. 

 
They finally wheeled him to his room.  I was informed that they would not let the baby stay there because kids were not allowed.  Another helpful piece of information!  We got to his room close to nine.  We were told they would monitor Ian for few days to watch the swelling.  The nurse finally could give him pain medicine and some liquids. He could not take off the neck brace until they checked his neck and back.  Ian hardly slept that night, so Collin didn't either.  Silas and I got a room in the Ronald McDonald House.  I was so worried, I did not want to leave Ian and Collin.  Once we got settled, it was absolutely no big deal to have Silas there.  Thank goodness!
 
 
The next morning, Ian was in such a good mood.  I felt so much relief, but his swelling was much worse.  Ian was so happy to see Silas!  He wanted to hold him and "Fuzzy him."  The different doctors for his spine, eyes, nose, and brain would all come check him individually.  The doctors reviewed his case and said there was no reason he needed to stay.  As soon as he ate, drank, and went to the bathroom he could go home!  We were a little surprised to be told we could go home so soon!  Ian was so sick of all the doctors and nurses.  But everything checked out and he left less than 24 hours after arriving. 
 
 
Ian had some visitors while in the hospital.  Our friends, the Falkenrath's were in Utah and came by with some food and stamps for him.  While there Ian was eating lots of Fruit Loops, in fact that is all he would eat!  Ali offered to feed Ian so Collin could eat.  After that, Ian would not let anyone else help him eat, except Ali.  Then my little sister, Nicole came to see us.  She also brought some snacks and toys for Ian.  After we got home, we had people asking if Ian was okay.  I finally posted on Facebook that he was fine, and we were home.  Ian had so many visitors and gifts after that!  His nursery leaders, our neighbors, friends, and grandparents came.  He got balloons and flowers from Collins work, dinners from our ward, and lots of phone calls checking on us.   

 
Ian's face went from really swollen where he could hardly open his eyes to very black and blue.  He would itch his head all the time and say it itched.  We bought lots of Motrin and Tylenol.  At first you could tell when it was wearing off.  So we really kept up with alternating them.  But by Tuesday, he was fine without any pain medicine!
 

 
Ian got to ride in the wheelchair from the hospital room to our truck.  He feel asleep as soon as we started driving.  The entire experience was such a whirlwind!  At one point we were not sure if he was going to make it.  Then the next we were told he was fine and could go home!
 

 
I have absolutely no doubt that Ian was being watched over by angels.  Looking back, there were way too many coincidences that proved to me that we experienced a miracle.  He hit that pole so hard, it was amazing there were no injuries to his neck or back.  Or if he would not have hit directly in the middle of his forehead, the fracture would have been much trickier to line up and heal.  Or if he would not have hit the pole and gone over the cliff, who knows what kind of injuries he could have.   Before we left, we were given a lot of information about Traumatic Brain Injury.  It was scary to read all of the possibilities.  Besides Ian needing more sleep than before, there were no other symptoms.  And now, Ian has completely healed.  There are no signs of any kind of brain injury at all.  Amazing!!!


 
Ian loves snuggling with Silas!  And he had a bunch of nice notes on his door when we got home from sisters, grandma, and cousins.  They stayed up forever!  We were told Ian could walk only for a couple months.  No running, jumping, biking, wheels of any kind, or swimming.  Ian wanted to run and jump as soon as he got home.  I was a nervous wreck.  Luckily it was still winter, so we were mostly cooped up in the house.  I pushed him in the stroller on our walks for a long time before I finally let him ride with a helmet.  I am so grateful that Ian recovered so quickly.  It was the most scary moment we have experienced.  I am so thankful it was not worse!
 

 




 


No comments: